a blog with relatively few words, particularly for a girl who speaks many...

Monday, April 10, 2006

Day 9: Paris to Vaison la Romaine

Our last day in Paris :( - I am so sad, as I just love this city! Thus, I got up extra-early to be able to take an hour walk to Notre Dame and back before fetching Amy at 9:15 to go to the Picasso Museum. We got there as they opened and spent about an hour or so there. Amy said: "Um, yeah, I don't think I really like Picasso..." and that was ok - she still said she appreciated the experience, which I think is a lot of what art is about - you don't have to like it to get its importance.

We then shopped a little (Amy got outfits for her dogs) and we separated after that. I headed to the Film Museum to check out an exhibit on a Spanish director who I like, Almodovar. It had no English translation, but, being film, the exhibition was very visual and cool nonetheless. I zipped back to the hotel to meet up with the group at 1:15 p.m. for our 3-hour TGV speed-train to Avignon in the south of France, followed by a 1-hour bus trip to Vaison la Romaine, the town we'll be staying in for the next three nights.

We arrived and hiked up a hill to our hotel, which is lovely. After settling in, we had a group dinner at the hotel - it was mediocre, I will not lie - but we sat with the coolest folks on the tour, and between 6 of us drank 4 bottles of wine (and Amy really didn't drink more than a glass...). Keep in mind one fellow, Shane, is from Ireland and can put it away! It was good fun and from there, I went and took some night photos with my "tour buddy" (we had to pick one), Bob, who is a cool guy about my age who actually lives in Eastlake in Seattle. I also just needed some air after all that wine! Tomorrow is market day!!

*Photos:
Notre Dame in the morning.
Musee Picasso!
A few shots from the Almodovar exhibit I went to at the Film Museum.
Our street in Paris, Rue Castex.
The high-speed TGV train to Avignon - 3 hours via train up to almost 200 mph vs. 8 hours of driving.
The French country side from the train. Long live the TGV!!!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn, if you come accross any World War 2 monuments, take pictures for me! I am glad to hear that you are having a blast! You are missed here.

Anonymous said...

Whew! Glad I found your trip comments. I mean, the menu was fascinating, but I really wanted to know you were having a good time on your trip!

P.S. Don't forget the Crunchie bars! I'm dying over here!

Anonymous said...

Jenn,

Caught up with your travels today. Sounds like you are really enjoying yourself.
Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

I almost feel like I'm there with you -- fabulous pictures! See you soon!