a blog with relatively few words, particularly for a girl who speaks many...

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Day 15: Avignon to Villefranche sur Mer


Today we transferred to our last hotel, located in Villefranche-sur-Mer, which literally translates to "free city on the water" - it was a tax-free city during medieval times. It's a lovely location and Amy & I finally scored a decent room! We're quite happy with our French Riviera view that we can see when we're sitting on our beds... It's warmer too, though now that we're by the sea, there is a nip in the air, but still, blue skies and sunshine - no complaints here!!

We left Avignon at 8:30 this morning en route to an ancient abbey located in Le Thoronet. At about 11, we got there and only had about an hour before they were kicking us out for Easter mass, but it was still very interesting and old. We then had lunch outside (it was decidedly warm there). We have been drinking at virtually every single meal - "kir" is a big drink here - basically cassis (blackberry) liquor mixed with white wine, so it's sweet and fruity and tasty. It's funny though, here in France, it's just so natural. For example, wine is often the same price or cheaper than a coke (for a glass); and if a "menu" (fixed price meal with 2-3 courses) includes a drink, you have the choice of bottled water, coke or wine. It's such a cultural thing, no one thinks anything of it. If I drank this much at home, I'd been seeking out my local AA meeting (or someone would be advising me to :)

After that, we headed to the little touristy hilltown of Eze - it was a cute little place, situated on a big hill. There was an interesting exotic garden, and a funky old ornate church. Additionally, there were many opportunities to spend money - nothing too riveting, but definitely a tourist town.

Another 30 minutes in the bus and we hit Villefranche, a cute little seaside town about 20 minutes from Nice. The hotel is decent, our view, as mentioned, is stellar, and overall, it's a nice place to end the trip. Tomorrow we spend in Nice - highlighted by an old-town walk, the Matisse museum and a big stop for me - the Chagall museum (he's my favorite modern artist by far, and in particular, this is the most stunning collection of his work located in one place). We're on our own after that through the whole day on Tuesday (we meet for our farewell dinner that night).

It's funny how the trip has taken so many turns and what-not in terms of feeling, vibe, activities, group dynamic, etc. Paris was so urban and the group still quite 'stiff' with one another; Vaison was sleepy and the group spent a ton of time together, warming up but also kind of maxing out; Avignon was again quite urban, but really fun with batches of people going out for drinks and dinners on their own...and now we've landed in our last stop, a little town with lots going on and the group is good and comfy. I'm excited for the last two days coming up - and though I was sort of ready to go home a few days back, now I'm firmly in travel-mode and sad that it has to end :(

Photos: The Abbey at le Thoronet; Eze from a distance, the view and the church; Yes, Amy and I are actually together on this trip!; Moi; Exotic garden and church in Eze; the view from our hotel room, the bay in Villifranche as well as a shot of the town on the sea.













2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Pictures J- You look fabulous by the way. Wow. I think you have lost some more weight on vacation or perhaps it is because you are in a warmer climate and do not need a coat.

Love ya....M

Anonymous said...

Amazing pictures. I too had the band surgery. I lost over 125 lbs and got very ill. I have since gained it all back because I had my band loosened. I wish I hadn't done that...but it's water under the bridge. I'm trying to lose it all again.

Keep on doing what you're doing. Never let it go or it will come back.