a blog with relatively few words, particularly for a girl who speaks many...

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Day 4: London (for real today!)

Well, without question today exceeded yesterday by, oh, a zillion times over! Amy headed off to Bath on the early end. I took my time and left around 10, opting to walk from the hotel (near Victoria Station) all the way to Trafalgar Square, via Buckingham Palace and St. James Park, to see a bit of the National Gallery before lunch. It was a gorgeous day, and after about 36 hours lying prone, I was quite keen to move again and have a bit of energy to do so.

First off, Buckingham Palace is not very grand...I kept thinking, "is this it?" and looking around for more. They let you get within 100 feet of it too - which just seems so, well, un-American ;) - seriously, have you been near the White House lately? The closest you can get is like a mile away!


From there, I strolled through the lovely St. James Park en route to the National Gallery, which holds a very interesting smattering of art - from Michealangelo andLeonardo di Vinci to Monet and Van Gogh...a nice teaser for what's to come in Paris :)





Next, I headed to Camden Town to have lunch with an old friend, Joe Combs. (He looks great and says hello to all of the Seattle/Adobe folks!). From there I went and checked out the Camden Market - largely goth-wear and a few interesting things, tons of food, etc. Didn't buy anything - it was kinda like a gigantic U-district. Still, fun to take it in! From there, I went back and strolled down Oxford for some "real" shopping, but again, since these days we can get most of this stuff at home, I resisted any purchases.



A definite highlight of the trip so far, though, took place this evening as we went to see Billy Elliot - it was incredibly entertaining and well-done. Both Amy and I, along with the strapping Dane sitting next to me, were all quite impressed. If ever it comes to the states and is nearby, take it in - hell, I'd go again in a heartbeat. Elton John arranged all of the music and there were some really funny characters, creative costumes and amusing lines. Amy, having known nothing about it prior to seeing it, said I did well in picking a show for us :) Phew! Bonus, it was walking distance from our hotel!



Tomorrow we are off to Paris! I'm quite excited as most of you know it is my favorite city on the planet; though, having lost a day here, I'd be keen to stay on for another day or two in London...I guess that just gives me an excuse to come back soon!


No comments: