a blog with relatively few words, particularly for a girl who speaks many...

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Day 5: London to Paris


Oh dear. Poor, poor Amy. Last night after Billy Elliot seems she got the bug I had...she was sick most of the night but the pisser for her was having to get ourselves to the airport for our 10:45 flight to Paris! She opted for a cab and slept a lot; and then brilliant me had the notion to get her a wheelchair to the gate (it was a trek, and having just been there a few days earlier, I would've died trying to schlep across the airport...). British Airways was more than kind. First, we went to the "special needs" desk and dropped off Amy to relax in the "Serenity Lounge" - I went a shopped a little, and then headed to the gate. Not long had past when I heard the "beep-beep-beep" of a cart coming with it's flashing light on and there was Amy. They put us in a little holding cell behind the counter and let us board first. The flight was short (I didn't even get through all of DCFC's Plans) and we were here. Amy again opted for a cab, and we got to the hotel and I put her to bed...after getting my own room for tonight. Just seemed a wise choice. With her safely tucked away, my fun began!

I don't think there is a place in the world that makes me happy from the inside-out like Paris does. I could just walk around here for days and never feel bored or lost or at odds. I just love the people, the energy, the shops/stores/bakeries you name it. So, for my fun today, I walked through the Marais (Jewish area, Gay area, etc.) and it's fantastic shops before visiting the Pompidou Centre (Modern Art). Sadly, like the Tate, most if it's permanent collection is closed as they do their re-hanging before the big tourist season, but I still got to enjoy several exhibitions which was good fun! It was open until 11 p.m. tonight (I left by 8 or so, but it was nice not to feel rushed). I walked there and back (the hotel is near the Bastille, in case anyone wants a point of reference). I've stayed at this hotel twice before, but it's been like 5+ years since I've been to Paris (way, way too long) - anyhow, it seems Rick Steves' influence gave them some serious cashola to renovate - now it has a lift, an upscale lobby, refurbished rooms and a lovely breakfast room in the basement. I was pleasantly surprised!

Anyhow, due to poor planning, my camera died mid-walk so I apologize for the lack of Pompidou photos, but I'll be back around there and shoot a few then. For now, here are some I liked today:









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better Hennifero. Have fun in Paris.

Meg

Anonymous said...

Other than being sick, sound sliek you're haveing a swell time. Found this, might have some use for you in Paris ;)
http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~mongoose/french/phrases.

KK