a blog with relatively few words, particularly for a girl who speaks many...

Friday, June 09, 2006

New York Day 1: Happy Kitty Bunny Pony

I'm in NYC to celebrate (and I use the term 'celebrate' loosely) my 35th birthday! I'm visiting my good friend Ron from Kent. He and his friend Chip run a company called Spin Cycle promoting shows and producing club parties. For example, they run "Joan Rivers Live" each week - apparently I missed her show (and birthday) by just a day. Alas. Getting here was fast and easy, especially after that Manila fiasco!

I arrived at Ron's East Village apartment at 1st & 1st around 6 p.m., we chatted for an hour or so, walked to a small theatre where he had to hand out press passes and then headed to his friend Chip's roof deck, after grabbing a lovely organic iced coffee from the new "green" cookie shop - everything is organic, blah blah... We sat outside with the Empire State Building in the background, chatting and catching up before grabbing a bus around 9:30 p.m. to ChinaTown for dinner at the place-to-go, Wo Hop. We had good fun and good food! And, I got me a Wo Hop t-shirt for a mere 6 bucks.

We walked home via the Lighting District, past the Manhatten bridge. Ron was telling me how he and Chip are trying to think of a new club or party to host and shared his list of potential names for it. Apparently, long difficult names are the new trend (funny, I just read in Seattle Magazine how monosyllable names, such as Crow, Crush, Veil, are all the rage in Seattle and it's getting tired - nyc is just always 5 steps ahead). One of his ideas for a name is "Happy Kitty Bunny Pony" after a popular book...the rest of the list was funny too!

Around midnight Ron got a call to deliver some promotional flyers to a nearby club where Chip was d.j.'ing his weekly gig. I went to this party 8 years ago, the last time I was in NY. We hung around in the dj booth; Chip delighted in showing me his collection of about 50+ Madonna CD's (every legal/illegal Madonna CD known to man - on Halloween, he does a 6-hour Madonna set with no repeats...yikes!). It was 1 or so at this point, so we headed home, visited another hour or two and hit the sack.

What I had forgotten about nyc is that I really love it here! I find it just so dynamic and as if everything is interesting, every person is beautiful and there is nothing boring about being here. I'm sure if I lived here it would be different, but it's like a little visual banquet! See?

Photos: Getting here; Ron's place &, in particular, his celebrity fragrance collection; Manila food here..ug!!; theatre, cookies, roof deck, giant cockroach crosses our path; Chinese food; lighting district; Chip & his dj booth.




















No comments: