a blog with relatively few words, particularly for a girl who speaks many...

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The French Laundry, coming up in July!













The French Laundry, a famous, amazing restaurant, was wise enough :) to pick up on Wednesday when I called to secure a reservation on behalf of my dear friend Anhl. You have to call two months to the day of when you want to go, and then pray when they do pick up, that there is still a table of any sort, much less a desirable time, etc. So it went like this:

10:00 - Anhl IM's: Jenn, dial this number, help me try to get in at the French Laundry
10:00 - 10:06 - Dialing like a mo'fo
10:06: Music to my ears.... "Thank you for calling the French Laundry..."
10:06 - 10:20: Holding
10:20: It start ringing! Hallejuleh!
10:22: Still ringing. Panicking. Am I in a dead queue? Are they full, and now they let us sit here, ringing, in limbo? No. I'm too close! NO!
10:23: "Hello, how may I help you?" "Table for 2 please, on July 24th?" "5:30 or 9:00 are available..."
10:26: Reservation confirmation lands in my email. July 24th, a Monday, at 5:30 p.m.

I told Anhl that I got a life-lesson reminder:

Wanting things too much often pushes them away, and then it never happens. When you relax, go with the flow and just let things unfold naturally, often you get what you want - because your happiness wasn't depending on it.

For me it was a whim to dial and simply lucky I was at my desk, for her, it was a mad desire! Being a little superstitious, I suggested this is why I got through and she did not. We agreed we both need to be more aware of this concept in general. In the meantime, we'll both just salivate thinking of the upcoming event!

No comments: