a blog with relatively few words, particularly for a girl who speaks many...

Friday, September 22, 2006

Megan = 30 Tomorrow!

I recall the moment I found out Meg existed as follows:

Thursday, September 23, 1976.
Little Jenny Steff is, as usual, dawdling and is the last kid to leave her morning kindergarten class. The exit was in the back of the school, and the sidewalk formed a big square in order for me to get up a little hill the crosswalk leading up the big hill to get "home" to my Aunt Judy's house, who watched me.

About half-way to the crosswalk, I see my dad coming at me in his long black raincoat. He said, "How 'bout a Megan Elizabeth?" Being 5, I didn't get it. No names for the baby had been discussed, and I think, though I already had one sister, I didn't really grasp the whole baby thing entirely. He explained, "Mom had her baby this morning! Her name is Megan Elizabeth." Lightbulb! "Ohhhhhhhhhhhh...." I said, and followed with a total 5-year-old-it's-all-about-me response, "There's a Megan in my class. Can we go tell my teacher?" So we walked back into the classroom and told Mrs. Householder, my barbie-doll-looking kindergarten teacher. She was happy for me, I remember that. And, I was really happy too...still am.

Happy Birthday Meg!!

2 comments:

Fridaypeach said...

Awww J....you are awesome. Thank you for the retelling of finding out about me :)

Anonymous said...

Yes I remember that day in back of Joanna O'Connel School on East 38th St. But Jenn you were the one who always got the stethoscope wanting to hear the baby's heart beat. And your mom would lay down and you would put it on her stomach.
Dad